Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My Pedometer & My Moment of Truth

So, I've been really thrilled with how far I've been jogging lately -- usually returning from a run, describing to my husband with grand gestures just how many blocks B & I ran around - both before & after our usual stop at the park.
I wanted to figure out exactly how far I've been running. My brainstorm idea was to go out in my car and drive around our usual route, tracking it on the odometer. Bill suggested I just use my pedometer. (Darn it -- I hate it when he clearly has the better idea!!) We had pedometers issued at work last year when they started a 10,000 Step-A-Day program for the employees. It was fun - but no matter how hard I tried I never won (I secretly suspect some employees set their pedometer settings too sensitive & were getting credit for their bumpy commute to & from work each day). I scrounged around in my desk drawers yesterday & found it! My old pedometer! The batteries were still working & everything! Yes! I felt like this was my first step towards becoming a *real* runner!!! I was going to put the pedometer to REAL use!
Despite having done a pretty decent run on Sunday, I came home from work Monday afternoon and harnessed B up in his stroller (a.k.a. chariot), put on my running shoes, snapped on my pedometer (feeling so much like a jogging pro) and set out...... we ended up going not quite as far as our usual route. It was a little extra cold. I wasn't "feeling it." We'd done a big run the day before (including a BIG hill) and my calves were hurting a bit. Excuses. Excuses.
We got to the park & I had B in the swing & took a second to check my pedometer while he smiled & waved at the other kids. Moment of truth........... 1.08 miles!!! 1.08 miles?!?! MOTHER EFF!!!!! How in the heck do people run marathons?! At that point, if you told me I had 25 times that to do I would have died. I would have just flat-out died right there in the park!!!
We had plans later that night - so we didn't even have time to take the long way home. A grand total of 1.45 miles. Sucktastic!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment