Monday, March 1, 2010

The Quest!!!

I've always been the kind of person who hates running... hates running... absolutely loathes running. I told my husband the other day it's probably because I grew up in Canada and was occasionally forced to run around the block in gym class during the most chillingly frigid weather, barely surviving the 1.1 k, slipping and sliding around on the ice in the freezing, icy cold! I dreaded it! Every inch of me would end up numbingly cold. And I hated it. Every single, horrible, frozen, frost-bite inducing second of it.
I have friends who run. I have friends who have always loved to run. I remember days spent at summer camps when they woke up early to jog around the lake while I slept in - snuggled up in my cozy bunk bed, praying for them not to be mauled by bears or victimized by wandering murderers or lurking molesters. I've never, ever understood the love of running. I even have friends who run marathons. Crazy, crazy, crazy marathon-running friends!! I've always personally been of the opinion that since the first ever recorded marathon runner immediately dropped dead, it's probably something that should be avoided. At all costs. I've always respected runners ~ but I've never understood it -- or wanted to be involved.
Fast forward a couple years - through a decade of anti-running. I'm not claiming I've been too lazy or incredibly un-fit. I love yoga, pilates, weight training, bicycling... anything but running!!!!!! Well.... now I presently find myself with a rambunctious little one-year old. As a working mom, I never (EVER) have a spare moment to myself. Well... that's not entirely true.. I have about a half hour every day after my son goes to sleep before I exhaustedly climb into bed - but I like to use that time to shower. :) I started taking him on walks when he was born. It was fun for him & great exercise for me -- just what I needed - a little bit of a workout that I could do with my son! Gradually that turned into a long walk, then a more aggressive walk - up bigger & better & more challenging hills. Then it turned into a jog. The first time I went jogging I didn't think I could make it half a block.... and I hardly wanted to try given my absolute loathing of running.... but I did. The next day I went further... and the next day further. The faster & further I went, the more fun my B (my baby boy) would have - tucked into his stroller, chattering & waving away.
Suddenly I'm loving the run! I'm shocked beyond comprehension to find myself looking forward to getting home from work, throwing on my running shoes & some stretchy pants and getting B out and about for a good run. It feels great. And we have fun. A year ago I would have rather drank poison than gone for a run (although... drinking poison might sound tempting to any mother of an 8 week old). But today I'm having fun. Each day going further & pressing harder! I'm proud of myself & setting new goals & challenges & looking good too!! (or so I tell myself - ha ha!!)
Today I may have successfully persuaded Sarah (my sister) to train for a half marathon this summer with me. I'm looking forward to the goal & looking forward to the challenge. Who knows what we've gotten ourselves into!!! We'll see what happens.... I might have to teach B how to dial my phone in case we end up collapsed on a roadway in sheer exhaustion somewhere. We'll see how far we can go!! :) (And if you get a cell phone call from B anytime soon.... immediately dial 911 & send a search & rescue team out to find me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment